The Specialist Basketball Program at Kennedy Baptist College aims to develop the basketball skills of students to their fullest potential. Students are given a range of opportunities to grow and develop in an environment which caters for their current level and develops individuals to reach the next level in their basketball pathway.
The Head Coach of the Kennedy Specialist Basketball Program is current Head Coach of the Perth Lynx and former Perth Wildcats Assistant Coach of five years, Andy Stewart. Andy is assisted by current and past SBL players.
The Kennedy Program in its short tenure has had sustained success over the last six years including 2017 and 2018 Senior Girls State Championship, third overall Senior Boys State Championship and 2014 Junior Girls State Championship. As a program we also celebrate the individual achievements of students who have pursued basketball once graduating from the College such as Daniel Grida (2015 alumni) currently playing in the NBL for the Wollongong Hawks and contracted Perth Lynx Development player for the 2018/19 season, Tayah Burrows.
Through the Program students may have the opportunity to travel interstate and overseas to represent the College in basketball on tour and at selected competitions.
- Up to 120 students participate in regular training throughout the year.
- Students have the opportunity to represent the College in School Sport WA tournaments and the SAS and Junior SAS Interschool Competitions.
- Program participants train two morning sessions per week from 6.50am to 7.50am at our College Sports Centre.
- In Years 8 to 10 an elective can also be chosen that complements the morning program and is run during school time with specialist coaches.
- In Years 11 and 12 the Specialist Program is complemented by Physical Education Studies courses where students have the opportunity to develop their knowledge of the game, coaching skills and other WACE mandated course content.
- The cost is $470 for a full year. Please note that the cost is additional to the standard fees and charges. If your child withdraws for reasons other than medical, no refund will be issued.
Upcoming Trials for 2022 intake:
Places in the program are only available to students already enrolled at Kennedy Baptist College for 2022 and will be based on the results of a two-phase trial process.
Phase 1 - Open Session
The session is open to any student who wishes to be part of the program. This initial trial is held on-campus at the Kennedy Sports Centre on Friday 4 June from 7:30am-9:00am.
Phase 2 – Invite Only
Parents will be notified via email if their child has been successful in reaching the second phase of the trial selection process. The second trial session will be held at the Kennedy Sports Centre on Wednesday 16 June from 7:00am-8:20am.
At the conclusion of the trial process, parents will be notified of the outcome of the trials and the steps required to confirm a place if offered.
- Students are required to bring their own water bottle and can wear their own sports clothes or current school uniform for the trials.
- Parents are more than welcome to stay and watch the trial and will have an opportunity to ask questions regarding the 2022 Program.
- As an indication, the 2021 cost for the Program was $470, however, the 2022 cost will be confirmed at the end of this year. Full payment is required by 30 January 2022.
- The uniform consists of the standard College sports uniform shorts and a Kennedy Basketball reversible singlet ($35).
To register for the open trial please complete the following expression of interest form before Friday 28 May
If you have any further questions about the program please contact the Specialist Basketball Coordinator Mr Ben Pether here at the College via email firstname.lastname@example.org