Specialist Sport Programs
The Specialist Basketball Program at Kennedy Baptist College is run under the guidance and leadership of former Perth Wildcats Assistant Coach of five years and current Head Coach of the Perth Lynx , Andy Stewart, and WSBL Player/Coach Jessica Van Schie.
In 2014 Kennedy won the Junior Girls State Championship and the Senior Boys All Schools Grand Final. In 2015 Kennedy's senior boys team made it to the finals in the SSWA Southern Region Tournament, while the junior girls were runners up in the same Competition.
The development of our Specialist Sports has been exciting to watch. The wonderful achievement of our Senior Girls Basketball team to become State Champions in 2017 was an outstanding accomplishment. They then went on to compete in the national championships in Melbourne in December.
- Up to 100 students participate in regular training throughout the year.
- Students have the opportunity to represent the College across all Years in School Sport WA tournaments and the SAS and Junior SAS Interschool Competitions.
- Program participants train two morning sessions per week from 6.40am to 7.40am at Lakeside Recreation Centre.
- In Years 8 to 10 an elective can also be chosen that complements the morning program but is run during school time with Specialist Coaches.
- In Years 11 and 12 the Specialist Program is complemented by Physical Education Studies courses where students have the opportunity to develop their knowledge of the game, coaching skills and other WACE mandated course content.
- In Year 11, students have the opportunity to represent the College on a trip to the Philippines to play basketball and work in the community.
- Each year any incoming students who are interested in joining the Kennedy Specialist Basketball Program are invited to attend and watch a morning session at Lakeside Recreation Centre. They will then be given the opportunity to attend a skills session tryout to assess suitability for the Program.
Kennedy Baptist College has developed an elite Specialist Cricket Program in conjunction with Southern Cricket. Through this Program students can gain access to specialist coaching and technology normally only available to professional cricket players and coaches.
- Use of state-of-the-art indoor facilities at Southern Cricket, with Level 3 Coach Luke Wimbridge.
- Access to turf nets and centre wickets that are curated by the WACA on Murdoch Oval. Early morning training sessions for each Year group at Southern Cricket held weekly throughout the year.
- A double period during school hours for Years 8-10. This double period consists of specialist training at Southern Cricket, cricket fitness, indoor cricket and turf net practice.
- Competing in the Southern Associated Schools Junior and Senior (Grand Finalists 2014, Champions 2015) competitions run by the ACC.
- Also competing in the highly regarded Kim Hughes Shield run by the WACA (semi-finalists 2014).
- The current Cricket Coordinator holds a Level 2 Coaching Accreditation.
Information in regard to the Program will be mailed to students who are enrolled prior to starting at Kennedy. The cost of the program is $420 per year, and is added to individual annual fees.