VET Voice featuring Nicholas Ringrose (Certificate III in Light Vehicle Mechanical Technology)

Year 11 and 12 students at Kennedy have the opportunity to enhance their education by engaging in Vocational Education and Training (VET) courses while still at school. VET students do off-campus studies in training organisations such as TAFE and some are required to do work placements.

We took some time to interview Nicholas Ringrose, a Year 12 student enrolled in Certificate III in Light Vehicle Mechanical Technology at South Metro TAFE:

1. What got you interested in your VET course?
    I got interested after getting my car license and started working on my car.
  2. How long have you been studying this VET course and what happens during a typical training day?
    I started studying last year doing a Cert II, but this year I am in the workplace at United Fuel Injection doing a heavy diesel apprenticeship. In a typical workday, I begin by getting assigned a car to work on. This usually starts with a test drive or putting it on the dyno to check for problems and then the work begins to fix or modify the car.
  3. What is the most interesting aspect of training for this VET course?
    The most interesting aspect of training in this VET course is the hands on work you get to do and really getting your foot in the door and understanding what it’s like to be in the work force. I really enjoy doing the performance side of my work when you get to turbocharge Patrols and Land Cruisers.
  4. What is the most challenging aspect of training for this VET course?
    The most challenging aspect of my work would be the full responsibility you get on working and driving customers’ cars and to be fully switched on and taking in all the information your tradie is telling you at all times so you don’t damage anything or hurt yourself, or other workers.
  5. How do you manage to juggle between curriculum studies and your VET course?
    I take advantage of all my study classes and make sure to keep up to date with all my teachers.
  6. Would you recommend doing a VET course?
    I really recommend to anyone thinking of doing a VET course to do it in Year 12, especially if they are not 100% sure if they want to get into a particular career. It’s a really good experience and shows you what it’s like out there in the real world.

Mr Ernesto Ramirez
VET and Workplace Learning Coordinator